MyMenu1

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Amla Mater - amla pickle and a book


"All it took was a little amla"
All it took was amla Mater, to stir every sense in me pleasantly unveiling and cherishing a truckload of memories. How did I travel back, to chasing the butterflies in frock days; admiring myself in the mirror days; friendship and farewell days; being Romeo's Juliet days; expectant-mom days!
The book 'amla Mater' by Devi Menon was all I touched and opened. Beads of memory strung themselves into a prismatic chain, which I wear fondly in my heart.

Mili is cherishing every experience in her journey into Motherhood , thanks to the technological development she even knows some details of how her baby develops inside her. With pregnancy comes craving, with cravings come memories. Devi has presented all these in an enjoyable tone.

Mili's childhood, her sisterly friend from childhood Maya, Maya's grandmother called as 'ammamma' and her delicious amla pickle are revealed layer by layer as Mili's maternity advances week by week. Mili's husband does his part as a friend, doting husband and caring dad-to-be. Its absolutely satisfying how the author has weaved in the present with the past bringing the readers sweet memories from each phase of their own life.

"It takes a certain degree of separation from India to fondly recall the cacophony of traffic, the jostling hum of crowds". Oh, yes!

Mili's childhood experience in gathering the right amlas with Maya for ammamma's pickle making and following every step of it comes handy today in her craving for amla pickle. As she tries and waits patiently to taste it, my craving crosses beyond bounds and I brought in a bottle of amla pickle. Mili tastes her homemade amla pickle and says, "It's not the same" and I said that with the store brought pickle. Her husband says its just a pickle, but Mili says its just not the same. The anguish of not able to bring back the exact childhood experience makes itself felt in Mili's heart as well as mine.

Mili's move to Chennai, the filter coffee, loving but intruding neighbour, the carnatic music made me feel at Chennai. Its astounding I even smelled the aroma of filter coffee and jasmine flower!
Then Mili's move to Bangalore, Brigade road and Gangarams, (oh wow the books!), and Malleswaram transportd me to Bangalore. And I did live in Malleswaram and that added a special flavor to me as well. Mili's Bangalore friend Nandini and her language Kannada comes bouncing in Mili's memories. Devi Menon says, "Kannada wasn't just Nandini's native tongue, it was the very fabric of her childhood." It is indeed, language is the very fabric of one's being, culture and tradition.

Mili's husband, 'the baker' does something though small to ease the anguish and longing of Mili and that eventually brings in a pleasant surprise into Mili's life.

I tried not to elaborate the many details, many beads. I leave them unstrung for each and every reader to experience the stringing in their hearts.

I reccommend you to get your hands on 'amla Mater' by Devi Menon, published by Yali books.
It is available in Barnes and Nobles and Amazon. I grabbed mine from Amazon. I have read the book and lived sweet memories thrice until now since I bought it end of October. This post was soaking long similar to the pickle. ;-) And I did empty a bottle of amla pickle!

Devi Menon is my friend's sister and am proud of them both. Congrats Devi and wish you success for many more books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your valuable comments, Thanks!